Use the blue arrows <> on the left & right to go to the next-door buildings
Click HERE to see photos of this building

No.103 High Street

The Post Office

House History

12th June 1953

Post Office
- Newmarket UDC re-numbering map

1951 - Present

The Post Office


Willoughby House - Crisswell, Mrs. E.C. - Nkt.238 - Newmarket Directory

23rd July 1934

Ernest Clifford Crisswell died


Willoughby House - Crisswell, E.C. - Newmarket Street Directory


Willoughby House - Crisswell, Ernest C. - Kelly's Directory


Willoughby House - Crisswell, Edward C. - Kelly's Directory
[Edward did incorrectly get used instead of Ernest in a few documents]

2nd April 1911

William Joseph Thomas Cox, Caretaker - Census


Willoughby House used as rooms for visiting gentry [see below for details]

12th Sept 1902

Harriet Dawson died


Harriet Dawson, widow - Census


Dawson, Mrs. Jsph. Willoughby House - Kelly's Directory


Harriet Dawson, widow - Census

20th January 1890

William Parr Isaacson died


William Parr Isaacson - Kelly's Directory

5th July 1884

William Parr Isaacson sold Willoughby House, Bolton House and Panton House to Lady Stamford - Catherine Grey, Countess of Stamford & Warrington


Isaacson, Wm. Parr J.P., D.L., Willoughby House
Dawson, Mrs. Jsph. Willoughby House
- Kelly's Directory


Willoughby House - Thomas B. Wiles, Grocer's Assistant - Census


Isaacson, Wm. Parr J.P., Willoughby House
Isaacson, Hubert Tyrell de Stuteville, Willoughby House
- Kelly's Directory


William Parr Isaacson J.P. - Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire


Park Terrace - Census


Willoughby House - William P. Isaacson, Solicitor - Census


not listed - Census

7th June 1844

William Crockford died - leaving his estate to his widow Sarah Frances Crockford

1808 - 1844

owned by William Crockford

1782 - 1808

owned by Thomas Panton Jnr.


Thomas Panton Esq. - Chapman's Map of Newmarket

- 1782

owned by Thomas Panton Snr.


Occupied by the Duke of Ancaster - Chapman's Map of Newmarket

Originally No.s 105-113 were all one property - Panton Mansion

Medical Surgery [now gone - see below for details]


Frank Griggs


Frank Griggs
Sporting Life - Warren Hill's office
- Newmarket Directory


Hailey, C. - Newmarket Street Directory

2nd April 1911

Lock-up Shop - Census


James Orendon, Gardener - Census


Hutchinson, Walter, High Street - Kelly's Directory


Hutchinson, Walter, High Street - Kelly's Directory


Walter Hutchinson, General Medical Practitioner - Census


Hutchinson, Walter, High Street - Kelly's Directory


John Rowland Wright, Surgeon & GP - Census


Faircloth Richard, surgeon, High Street - White's Directory


Richard Faircloth, GP - Census


Faircloth, Richard, surgeon, High Street - Post Office Directory of Cambs, Norfolk & Suffolk


Richard Faircloth, Surgeon in General Practice - Census


Faircloth, Richard, F.R.C.S.E., Newmarket, Cambridgeshire
[F.R.C.S.E. - Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England]

- Transactions of the Obstetrical Society 1860


Richard Faircloth, Surgeon & Apothecary - Census


Richard Faircloth, Surgeon & Apothecary - Census


  • In around 1861 - 1871 this part of the High Street, up to the house that stood where the Avenue is now (The Glen), was called Park Terrace.

  • Thomas Panton

  • Willoughby House was originally part of Thomas Panton Senior's mansion, which included all the houses from here to the Avenue (for details of the adjacent houses and a complete Panton family tree see No.105-113 High Street).

  • Upon the death of his son; Thomas Panton Junior in 1808, a large part of the estate was left to his nieces; Lady Priscilla Burrell, baroness Willoughby d'Eresby and Georgina, third Countess of Cholmondeley.,_21st_Baroness_Willoughby_de_Eresby

  • Priscilla's parents, young Thomas' sister Mary and her husband, General Peregrine Bertie (Lord Willoughby de Eresby from 1715 to 1723), the Duke and Duchess of Ancaster, previously occupied Willoughby House (see 1768 in the House History above).,_3rd_Duke_of_Ancaster_and_Kesteven

    Priscilla, Lady Willoughby de Eresby

    Mary Panton, 3rd Duchess Ancaster by Thomas Hudson c. 1757

    Mary was the illegitimate daughter of Thomas Panton Senior and married the Duke in 1750. Their London home was in Berkeley Square. She was a leader of fashion and in 1761 was appointed Mistress of the Robes to the young Queen Charlotte, immediately after her marriage to King George III. According to J.P. Hore Mary was 'beautiful and volatile'.

  • Details from Sporting and Rural Records of the Cheveley Estate - J.P. Hore

    In 1768 Christian VII. King of Denmark occupied the Palace [at Newmarket] during the October Meeting. Accompanied by his suite and "chaperoned" - in the words of the intellingencer - by the beautiful and volatile Duchess of Ancaster, they paid a morning visit to Cheveley, where they spent some time in the Park, and are said to have admired it very much.

  • William Crockford

  • As detailed in the 'Abstract of Title' listed below, on 5th September 1810 William Crockford bought all of Panton's lands from Mary Panton, widow (Charles Hammond of Hammond's Bank - No.58-60 High Street in Newmarket holding the property in trust).
    Willoughby House being specifically listed in this transaction.

  • As detailed in the furniture sale below, in 1813 Crockford had already sold Willoughby House and the name Isaacson has already appeared against this property as the auctioneers of the goods .... although William Parr Isaacson (who as detailed below later owned the house) was only 13 years old - so presumably this Isaacson must have been a previous generation of the family (his father?).

    Valuable and Neat HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE,
    (sic) House, Newmarket
    To be SOLD by AUCTION,
    By Messrs. ISAACSON,
    On Monday the 14th day of June, 1813,
    upon the premises.
    The Whole of the valuable HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE in Willoughby House, the property of Thomas Crockford, Esq.
    Willoughby House was formerly part of the residence and property of the late Thomas Panton, Esq. as was the furniture thereof, which was fitted up for the accommodation of Lady Willoughby. Mr. Crockford having sold that part of the estate is the cause of the present furniture being to be disposed of; which consists of many very excellent sacken-bottom post and tent bedsteads with dimity hangings, superior goose feather beds, bolsters, and pillows, wool mattresses, quilts, counterpanes, and blankets; mahogany dining, card, and dressing tables, mahogany night chests, night tables, bason (sic) stands, chest of drawers, &c. handsome pier, dressing, and chimney glasses, handsome sofas, mahogany chairs with hair seats and bras nails, handsome painted chamber chairs, a mahogany billiard table, 7 ft. 8 in. by 3 ft. 9 in. two fine-toned piano fortes, a fine-toned harpsichord, paintings and prints; a table called Rocks of Scilly: bed-round, bed-side, stair, and other carpets, festoon window curtains, canvas and venetian blinds, several sets of polished steel fire irons, guard-fenders, stoves, &c, tea urns, urn stands, stag on a pedestal, and a variety of other valuable property, as will appear in catalogues to be had at Mr. Rogers's circulating library, Newmarket; Lamb, Ely; Crown, Soham; Griffin, Isleham; Cock, Thurlow; One Bell, Bury; White Horse, Burwell and Exning; Hope, Chippenham; Mr. Winners, book-seller, Mildenhall; and of Messrs. Isaacson, auctioneers, Moulton and Newmarket.
    Sale to begin at eleven o'clock, and continue till all are sold.

  • Following Crockford's death in 1844 ownership of the remainder of the land and houses was left in his will to his widow Sarah Frances Crockford on 7th June 1844.
    Sarah doesn't seemed to have lived in any of the houses in Newmarket and died in Phillimore Gardens in Kensington on 27th March 1865.

  • William Parr Isaacson

  • After 1844 ownership of Panton's former lands and houses in Newmarket became quite complicated, but were progressively purchased by William Parr Isaacson - various payments, including £5,000 to Georgiana Sophia Elizabeth Holloway(?) on 17th May 1850 and another £3,000 to her on 21st August 1859, until in 1862 the 'Abstract of Title' shows that he owned most of Crockford's former estate.

  • The Isaacson family businesses seems to have included Mr. R. P. Isaacson, Auctioneer, Great Chesterford Parsonage, Essex, then Messrs. Isaacson, Son, and Webb, auctioneers and appraisers, Moulton, and Oaks' Farm, Cowlinge, near Newmarket .... to finally William Parr Isaacson, with offices in  Moulton, Clare and Newmarket.

    The following also seems to be relevent in understanding the Isaacson family - 'JOHN HELDER ISAACSON, notary public, Montreal, Que., [Canada] was born in the village of Great Chesterford, county Essex, England, February Qth, 1820. His father, the late R. P. Isaacson, came to this country in 1832, and settled in Montreal. Mr. Isaacson was educated at the schools of Cavendish, county of Suffolk, England, emigrated to Canada in 1837 and has since resided in Montreal. He was admitted to the practice of law in 1845, and has enjoyed an extensive clientage for many years.'

    Robert Philip (R.P.) Isaacson was born on 2nd December 1789 in Cowlinge, to Robert and Ann Barnard Isaacson - so this wasn't William Parr Isaacson's brother, but there definitely seems to have been some familial association - with their intertwined geographical locations and associated businesses ... and of course Willoughby House. Robert died on 18th April 1863 and is buried in Mount Royal Cemetery, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

  • William Parr Isaacson, J.P. and Deputy Lieutenant Cambridgeshire and Suffolk, was born in 1799 in Brandon, Suffolk to William and Mary Isaacson - he was baptised on 1st August 1799 at Brandon Parish Church.

    William gained his Clerkship on 9th Oct 1817 working for Attorney Wotton Isaacson at Mildenhall.

    In around 1831-1835 he's on the Electoral Register at Burwell and by 1841 he was living in Newmarket in York House in the High Street.

    William occupied Willoughby House after 1844, by this time he was a solicitor and a local J.P. and apparently wrote a play 'Alice' which was based on the Rye House Plot (King Charles II took shelter in Suffolk House, which originally stood on this site, during the fire which broke out in Newmarket in 1683 - hence foiling the Rye House Plot - so Isaacson's play is extremely relevant to this building).

    His wife Marianne (nee Caldecotte) died in 1849 and in 1851 he's shown as a widow living in Great Yarmouth with his young family and his retired father William (also shown as a solicitor), from Mildenhall and his mother Mary, from London.

    William moved back to Newmarket and into Willoughby House sometime before 1861.

    His second marriage was to Kate Beales (25 years his junior) in 1862 in Kensington and in 1871 they were living in Kidbrooke, near Greenwich in Kent.

    Sometime before 1881 it looks like Kate had separated from William (she's shown living elsewhere on subsequent census').
    William is back living in Newmarket with his sons, but this time further along in Bolton House (No.105 High Street - now Milton House).

    In 1884 William put the whole of his estate up for sale:-
    • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
      Property Sales catalogues
      Reference HE 500
      Freehold estates of William Parr Isaacson Esq.: Willoughby House, Bolton House, Panton House, Newmarket; turf subscription rooms, the Park Paddocks, Tattersall's Sales Yard, Park cottage, Rothesay House, Newmarket (Cambridgeshire) HE 500/4/9 1884
    • Freehold estates of William Parr Isaacson on High St. and Park Lane, Newmarket (plan) EF 506/10/6a-b 5 Jul 1884
    The sales catalogue is quite detailed, including a large scale map and it shows 26 plots of land for sale as follows:-
Lot One Willoughby House, including Lawn Tennis Ground, stabling for 3 horses with a back entrance from a private road.
These stables were let on a repairing lease to trainer Mr. Joseph Dawson for a term of fourteen years from 2nd August 1882 (now No.103 High Street).
Lot Two Bolton and Panton Houses, with lawns, garden and a back entrance from a private road. 'This Valuable Property, which is at present in hand, has recently been let at £525 per annum as a Club House, and is well adapted for that or any similar purpose requiring large space, or for reconversion into Two Private Residences, the position being one of the best and most central in Newmarket'. (now No.105-113 High Street).
Lot Three The Newmarket Turf Subscription Rooms (for details see No.99 High Street).
Lot Four The Capital Freehold Mansion and rear lands - adjacent to and behind the Subscription Rooms. The mansion was for many years occupied by the late Earl of Stamford and Warrington, being let to the Countess of Stamford and Warrington at the time of sale (now Page Fine Jewellery - No.97 High Street and the National Horseracing Museum - No.99 High Street).
Lot Five Training Stables, occupied by the Countess of Stamford and Warrington
(now Park Lodge Stables, Park Lane - Park Lodge, known as Park House at that time, was not included in this sale).
Lot Six Land adjacent to the above stables in Park Lane (over what is now Warrington Street).
Lot Seven Land adjacent to Lot Six in Park Lane.
Lot Eight Land adjacent to Lot Seven in Park Lane.
Lot Nine Corner plot of land adjacent to Lot Eight in Park Lane (adjoining what is now Green Road).
Lot Ten Corner plot of land (between what is now Green Road and the Avenue).
Lot Eleven Plot of land (over what is now Warrington Street and adjacent to the Avenue).
Lot Twelve Land adjacent to Lot Eleven (in what is now the Avenue and adjacent to the watercourse).
Lot Thirteen Land adjacent to Lot Twelve and adjacent to the rear access of Willoughby, Bolton and Panton House.
(in what is now the Avenue and adjacent to the watercourse).
Lot Fourteen Land opposite to Lot Thirteen (in what is now the Avenue and adjacent to Queensberry Road).
Lot Fifteen Land opposite to Lot Twelve (in what is now the Avenue and adjacent to the watercourse).
Lot Sixteen Land opposite to Lot Eleven (in what is now the Avenue and adjacent to the watercourse).
Lot Seventeen Corner plot of land (including what is now Station Approach and between Green Road and the Avenue).
Lot Eighteen Plot of land (see details in Lot Twenty-One below).
Lot Nineteen Plot of land (see details in Lot Twenty-One below).
Lot Twenty Plot of land (in what is now Queensberry Road).
Lot Twenty-One Plot of land
(in what is now Queensberry Road - lots Fourteen to Twenty-One are in most part now owned by Tattersalls).
Lot Twenty-Two The Capital Villa Residence known as Park Cottage, at the corner of Park Road (now the Avenue).
Occupied by Hubert Isaacson (William Parr Isaacson's son) at the time of sale.
Lot Twenty-Three Plot of land adjacent to Lot Twenty-Two, behind the property owned by the Rev. Octavius Hammond (who was part of the Hammond banking family) (in what is now Queensberry Road, behind the Masonic Lodge - No.115 High Street).
Lot Twenty-Four Plot of land adjacent to Lot Twenty-Three, behind the property owned by the Rev. Octavius Hammond - purchased by Mr. Stanley for £500. (in what is now Queensberry Road, behind Alton House - No.117 High Street).
Lot Twenty-Five Plot of land adjacent to Lot Twenty-Four, behind the property belonging to Dr. Gray - purchased by Dr. Gray for £100.
(in what is now Queensberry Road, behind Lushington house - No.119 High Street).
Lot Twenty-Six Rothesay House, being used as refreshment rooms and offices in connection with the Subscription Rooms
(No.124 High Street).

  • In total this was 47 acres of land, with an estimated annual earnings at that time of £3,025 in rental (worth £1.34m now).
  • What is obvious from the above list of lots is that Cardigan Lodge is not included in this sale and must have been sold at an earlier date and not purchased by William.

  • William died in Jevington Gardens, Eastbourne on 20th January 1890, his will being proved by his son Henry de Stuteville Isaacson, Colonel in the Royal Artillery.

    For all of the sale of the above lands in 1884 it's curious that William only left £750 in his will, but the 'Abstract of Title' detailed below does seem to indicate that he borrowed a lot in order to fund his purchases.
  • Harriet Dawson

  • The Harriet Dawson shown on the censuses was the widow of racehorse trainer Joseph Dawson of Bedford Lodge, who'd previously been renting the stables behind Willoughby House.

    Details about the Dawson brothers, Thomas, Mathew, Joseph and John are shown on a page specifically for the Dawson Family.

    Mrs. J. Dawson (Willoughby House) laid a wreath at the funeral of Fred Archer 20th November 1886.

    Harriet Dawson died on 12th August 1902.

  • The Times 15th September 1902

    Dawson. - On the 12th inst., at Willoughby House, Newmarket, Harriot Elizabeth, widow of the late Joseph Dawson, of Bedford Lodge, aged 73 years. Funeral to-day (Monday), Newmarket Cemetery, 2.45.

  • Newmarket Journal 19th September 1902
    Death of Mrs Joseph Dawson

    We regret to record the death of Mrs Joseph Dawson, who passed away at her residence, Willoughby House, Newmarket, early on Friday morning of last week, at the age of 73 years. Mrs Dawson had been confined to her house six years. She was the widow of the late Joseph Dawson, one of the four Dawson brothers, who have all attained eminence as trainers, and survived her husband by about 22 years. Mr Joseph Dawson was one of the ablest and most successful trainers of his time, and trained for many of the leading sportsmen of the past generation. Among his patrons were the late Lord Stamford, General Peel, Mr Mitchell-Innes, Mr T.V. Morgan, Mr Foxhall Keene, the Earl of March, Mr J.T. Best, and Mr Henry Rymill. Prince Charlie, who was both owned and trained by Mr Dawson, won the Two Thousand Guineas in 1872, and ran second in the Derby of that year to Mr Savile's Cremorne. Hester, who also belonged to Mr Dawson, won the One Thousand Guineas in 1870. Prince Charlie was the fastest horse of his time at short distances, and was invincible at five furlongs. Among the many other famous horses which were under the late Mr Dawson's care were Peter, The Rake, Lord Stamford's Diophantus, who won the Two Thousand Guineas in 1861, Hawthornden, Fripponier, &c. 

    The Funeral

    Took place on Monday afternoon at Newmarket Cemetery. Blinds were drawn at most of the residences and places of business along the route taken by the cortege. The Rev. H.C. Bourne, M.A., Rector of Newmarket St. Mary, read the service. The principal mourners were as follows: 1st carriage, Mr Arthur Briggs and Mr Alfred Briggs (nephews); 2nd carriage, Mr John Dawson and Mr G.P.T. Dawson; 3rd carriage, Mr J.A. Dawson and Messrs. Jas. and Jack Dawson; 4th carriage, Messrs. H. Humphreys, H. Bates (Lambourn) and Lumley; 5th carriage, Mr J.H. Maund and Mr Patterson, Mr J. Cartwright and Mr J.D. Cartwright, relatives of the deceased lady, were also present; and among the others who attended were Messrs. Jas. Waugh, Wm. Waugh, Jas. Ryan, O.E. Griffiths, C. Ed. Hammond, J.P., E. Potter, W. Evans, &c. Messrs. Bly Bros., with whom Mr H.M. Martin was associated, were the undertakers. The outer coffin was of polished oak, with brass fittings, and bore the following inscription: - "Harriot Elizabeth Dawson, died 12th Sept., 1902, aged 73 years." A number of lovely floral tributes were sent, the inscriptions attached to which were as follow: - In loving memory of our beloved aunt, from Harriet, Mary, Arthur and Alfred. In affectionate remembrance from George and Rose. In loving memory from Jack and Grace. In loving remembrance from all at Warren House. In loving memory of dear aunt Harrie, from Janie Day. In loving memory, with Mr and Mrs Harry Bates' sincere sympathy. Farewell token of love with lasting fond memory, from Mrs Grant Bates (Janie); heartfelt sympathy. Mrs T.S. Dawson and Mrs Musgrave Wilkinson, Brecondene, Newton Hill. In loving remembrance from Fanny and Susy. With Jas. Waugh's deepest sympathy; Mr John Porter and family (Kingsclere) with deepest sympathy. With Mr and Mrs Thos. Jennings' sincere sympathy. With deepest sympathy from Mr and Mrs C. Wood, Jevington. With deep sympathy and regret from W. Faiers (gardener). From Mr and Mrs Wm. C. Manning with deep regret. With Mr and Mrs George Barrow's deepest regret. With sincere sympathy from Mr and Mrs B. Chennell and family. With deepest sympathy from the servants at Willoughby House. With Mrs Jennings' sincere sympathy (Basset House). From Mr and Mrs A.S. Manning with sincere sympathy. Mr and Mrs A.A. Waugh (Childwick Hall) with sincere sympathy. With sincere sympathy, Mr and Mrs J. Hansby Maund. In loving memory of a dear friend from Lizzie and Carrie. With sincere sympathy from Mr F.W. Day. Mrs Kendal, with deepest sympathy. From Mrs Handley.
  • Many thanks to Geoffrey Woollard for his details about Harriet Dawson's funeral.

  • Visiting Gentry

  • In around 1910 Willoughby House was being used as rooms for visiting gentry - see A. Dick Luckman's article about Cecil Drew and the Counties Club - shown on the page for No.82 high Street.

  • Ernest Clifford Crisswell

  • A few years later Willoughby House was occupied by Ernest Clifford Crisswell (b. 1873 Great Bridge, Staffordshire) who lived there until he died on 23rd July 1934.

    Ernest went to school at Glenwood College in 1885. Subsequently in 1911 he lived in Cropthorne, Doris Street with his first wife Edith Marinda Crisswell, who sadly died on 31st May 1914 - she's buried in Newmarket cemetery.

  • Ernest married again to Ethel Copeland Harper in Walsall on 11th January 1921, with the wedding reception being held in his newly purchased 'Real Tennis' court in Fitzroy street (details about this building can be found on the page for Crisswell's Garage - No.170-176 High Street).

    Ernest was the owner of Crisswell's Garage, and was the son of William Crisswell the Draper; who lived at Camden House (No.s 69-73 High Street).

    The William Arthur Crisswell, draper, detailed in the above probate is Ernest's brother (as can be seen in the photo above William and his wife Mary Jane are buried together with Ernest's first wife Edith).

    Shortly after Ernest's death his widow Ethel moved into Fairstead House in Fordham Road, living there up to 1950, until finally moving to Willoughby Cottage, Fordham Road. Fairstead House then became Fairstead House School in 1950.

    Ethel lived to the grand old age of 92 and died in Birmingham in June 1975, though she was still listed in the phone book as living in Willoughby Cottage, Fordham Road in 1974 .

  • [Note from webmaster - my relationship to Ernest and his wife Ethel is that my Dad worked at Crisswell's Garage. Following Ernest's death, my Dad can remember being asked, along with a colleague, to visit Mrs. Crisswell at Fairstead House and help her pick and collect apples from the orchard at the house.]

  • Building Changes

  • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
    Newmarket Urban District Council Records
    Reference EF 506

    Alterations, Willoughby House, High St (H. Holland & Sons) EF 506/6/1/13/362 Aug 1909

  • Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
    Records of Messrs Ennions, Solicitors, Newmarket

    Property consisting of mansion house, High Street and sundry pieces of land in 1845 HB 517/A/51 1862
    Contents: Abstract of title (1776-1859) of William Parr Isaacson [of Newmarket (Cambs), gent]

  • Frank Griggs

  • A little known fact is that the Post Office was built on the site of two houses; not only Willoughby House as detailed above, but also an unnamed house that was located just to its left of it.

    In 1939 this was Frank Griggs the photographer's shop - many thanks to Peter Norman for his photo of this shown in the Photos section below.

  • Frank Thomas Griggs was born in 1881 in Assington near Sudbury, Suffolk and before his career as a photographer he was a Grocer's Assistant.

    He married Emily Elizabeth Griffin in 1909 in Newmarket - in the 1911 census Emily was a Dressmaker and Frank was a Photographer's Manager - they were living with their family and staff at Brackley House, Rous Road. He must have moved out soon after as Dr. Gilbert Clement Gray and Dr. Norman Gray of the Gray's Medical Surgery - Lushington House were shown living in Brackley House in 1916.

  • Brackley House - No.46 Rous Road

  • In later years Frank moved to Belmont, the end house in the row of Victorian mansions - Bridlemere, Glenwood and Fairlawn. He died there on 20th May 1940.

    Although Frank lived at Belmont for many years (he's shown there in Kelly's 1925 Directory and the 1926 Newmarket Street Directory), his shop and studios were obviously in this house at least by 1939.

    An interesting detail here is that one of the beneficiaries in his will is Dr. Joseph Davis - many will remember his surgery in Rous Villa, Rous Road.

    So from living in a house that was later owned by some doctors, to moving into a former medical surgery, to leaving money to another Doctor, Frank seems to have quite a strong association with the medical practitioners in Newmarket.

    His photography seems to have followed a similar style and concept as the earlier equestrian painter Harry Hall, who lived just along from this house in Park Cottage. Frank's earlier photographs were even painted in oil over the photographic emulsion - examples of his work are shown below.

  • Frank Griggs c.1930s

    Photograph of Bahram 1935

    Photograph of Mamoud 1937

    Photograph of Silvern

    Photograph of Son-in-Law 1920s

    Photograph Cameronian 1932

    Photograph of Mid-day Sun 1937

    Derby Winners
    - hand painted over a photographic base

    4th July 1936 - Stetchworth Park Estate Workers
  • The coming-of-age party for Viscount Brackley in 1936, who was to become the Duke of Sutherland - photograph by Frank Griggs.

    [Note from webmaster - the above Frank Griggs photograph is from my personal collection, given to me by my uncle. The tall gentleman on the far right-hand side at the back is my Great Grandfather; John Nichols, who was head gamekeeper for Stetchworth Park Estate.]

  • Where was the shop? ... the Pillar that can be seen to the left of Frank Griggs' shop in 1939 can still be seen today next to the Post Office - showing that the door into his shop was located just to the left of where the metal gate is today.

  • Frank Griggs' shop 1939

    The Post Office 2013

  • Sporting Life - Warren Hill's office

  • Also listed at the same location as the shop in 1936, this was the office of the Sporting Life, which was a British newspaper published from 1859 until 1998, best known for its coverage of horse racing. 'Warren Hill' was the pseudonym of a series of journalist-correspondents who wrote Newmarket racing articles for the newspaper.

    John Gardner
    Sam Long
    1932-1945 William Standring
    1945 - Thomas Wentworth Nickalls
    - 1959 Richard Galpin
    1965 - 1989 Tony Jakobson

  • Richard Galpin


  • 3 May 2008

    A MEMORIAL service for former Newmarket bloodstock agent Richard Galpin, who died earlier this year, will be held at Tattersalls on Saturday,

    EBN Obituary
    29 February 2008

    Leading bloodstock agent Richard Galpin, who has been critically ill in a Florida hospital since suffering a fall a week ago, has died at the age of 71.

    Galpin initially appeared to have sustained only cuts and bruises but deteriorated last Friday and was put on a life support machine, where he failed to regain consciousness.

    A former correspondent of the Sporting Life, under the name Warren Hill, Galpin went onto start the Newmarket Bloodstock Agency in 1959, with his first wife Vivien, and he also managed the Hamilton Stud in Newmarket. He soon began to show what a great judge he was when buyingthe fillies who helped to establish the Meon Valley Stud dynasty. He moved to Kentucky in the 1980s where he set up the Newmarket International Thoroughbred Consultants.

    One of his more recent stars is the multiple Gr.1 winner and young sire David Junior, whom he bought along with Hugo Merry and Brian Meehan for $175,000 at Fiasig-Tipton's Calder Selected 2YOs in Training Sale. Other horses who have bveen associated with Galpin include Monarchos, Sarava, Wilko, Zagreb, High Top, Chief Singer, Wollow, Ma Biche, Assert, Le Moss, Alzao, Paulista, Pas de Seul, Kampala, Fair Salinia, Ahonoora, Kenmare, Definite Article, Boucher and Nassipour.

    He not only had a good eye for horses but also for human talent. Bloodstock agents like John Warren, Geoffrey Howson, Dick O'Gorman and Frank Dempsey learned their trade thanks to Galpin.

    Richard is survived by his second wife Jayne and four children.

  • Clarence Hailey

  • If look at the photo of Frank Griggs' shop in the photos section below you can see that above the shop window there's a sign that says 'Late Clarence Hailey'.

    Thomas Clarence Hailey, better know as just Clarence Hailey was born on 2nd February 1867 in Clare, Suffolk. He opened his photography studio in St. John's Wood on 26th May 1888, where he worked until 1903. In 1901 he was living in 'The Laurels' in Stetchworth, where two of his children were born between 1901 and 1904.

    He had the sole rights of photographing King Edward VII's horses, which presumably is why he he opened his new photography studio here in Newmarket In 1903. An example of his work - a photo of the trainer Reg Day in 1910 can be seen on the page for Terrace House - No.125 High Street.

    Although he retained his studio here until 1933 in 1911 he was living in Surbiton, Surrey. He died on 12th February 1949 at Park Cottage in Aston Rowant, Oxfordshire.

    He was also a racehorse owner & bloodstock exporter, especially to South America. He founded Hailey's Bloodstock Agency in 1909 and Aston Thoroughbred Stud at Aston Rowant in 1929. His horse breeding business with Argentina was curtailed by WWI. The stallion Diamond Jubilee shown in the photo below was exported to Argentina, presumably by Clarence.

    Clearly in 1911 Frank Grigg's stating on the census that he was a Photographer's Manager, it looks like he was working for Clarence. Frank followed in Clarence's style - many of his race-horse photos were placed on a painted background and signed as though they were a painting. He produced his own oil paintings.

    Referrring to the dates of Griggs' photos it appears that Frank took over running the shop when Clarence moved on from here in 1933.

  • Cyllene - Winner of the Ascot Cup 1899 - Clarence Hailey

    Diamond Jubilee - late property of King Edward VII 1906 - Clarence Hailey

  • Medical Surgery

  • Prior to the photographers, over many years, the house had been the surgery of Richard Faircloth, John Rowland Wright and Walter Hutchinson - early Newmarket Doctors. Sometime before 1901 Walter Hutchinson moved round the corner to Cardigan Lodge, No.113 High Street, to be later succeeded by Sidney Winslow Woollett in 1911.

  • Dr. Richard Faircloth MRCS, FRCS, LSA was for many years the trusted friend and adviser of the best-known men in the racing world: Admiral Rous, George Payne, and the Duke of Rutland ... clearly explaining the reason for his practice in Newmarket.

    He was an unusually well qualified surgeon-apothecary (i.e. GP) to the elite of Newmarket, having obtained FRCS by examination, rather than the usual simple MRCS most GPs of the day acquired.

  • Dr. John Rowland Wright was doctor for the famous jockey Fred Archer and a witness at the inquest into his suicide.

    Wednesday 10 November 1886, Edinburgh Evening News, Midlothian, Scotland

    At the inquest on the body of Fred Archer Newmarket yesterday, evidence was given by Captain Bowling, personal friend. He said deceased was last birthday. Witness had been staying in the house since the 6th inst., and saw the deceased every day.

    The latter could converse to a certain extent, and then seemed to wander. He was anxious about his recovery. He never expressed any intention of destroying himself. He was very nervous because he wasted much. Witness was away from the house at the time deceased shot himself. He left him, he thought, happy and contented.

    He wasted very severely for the Cambridgeshire, but witness knew nothing about his going without food for three days. He rode at a weight which necessitated short living.

    Mrs Colman, Archer's sister, said deceased on Monday, a little after two, wished to speak to witness alone, and the nurse left the room. When the nurse left the room witness walked to the window to look out, and deceased said, Are they coming? Witness heard noise and looked round, and he was out of bed by the side next the door. She saw something his hand, and ran to him. Was a revolver, and she tried to push it on one side, but he put one arm round her neck and thrust her against the door. The revolver was in his left hand. He shot himself in the mouth, and seemed to fall flat on his back. Witness screamed whilst they were struggling, but the deceased never spoke. She had no idea the revolver was in the room. The whole scene did not occupy more than two minutes.

    Charlotte Hornidge, a trained nurse, corroborated Mrs statement as to being told to leave the room. Witness asked him if was comfortable the time, and he said yes. Presently she heard a bell rung violently. Archer seemed very low-spirited while she was nursing him, and said he thought he was going to die. She told him ought to look the bright side, and he said, wish I was of your way of thinking. She did not notice that his mind wandered. Had been left alone previously. Some hours after the occurrence witness found bullet in the room with a piece of bone attached to it.

    John Rowland Wright said he had been deceased's medical man for years. He was not a strong man. Friday morning he found deceased a high state of fever, and subsequently sent for Latham second opinion, had delusion that dinner eaten three days before was still his stomach. He had typhoid fever. On Monday he seemed better, but was very low spirited. He had the idea that he must die. Witness left him at half-past nine the morning, and did not see him alive again. He had examined the body, and death was caused by bullet passing from the mouth through the spinal column. Witness considered that deceased's mind was unhinged that was not responsible for his actions.

    Captain Bowling, recalled, said he was not aware of any betting losses to upset the deceased. The jury returned verdict of suicide while temporarily insane.

    The deceased made a will after his wife's death. Reported to have left fortune of several hundred thousand pounds.

    The funeral will take place Friday at Newmarket Cemetery.

  • Newmarket Local History Society - Frederick James Archer:-


  • The Post Office

  • Newmarket's Post Office was originally across the road at No.122 High Street - now Thing-Me-Bobs, but this was the site of the 5th bomb that struck Newmarket during WWII on February 18th 1941 - the building was destroyed and two people lost their lives there.

    As a temporary measure the Post Office was transferred to the Memorial Hall - No.144 High Street, where it remained until 1951, when Willoughby House along with Frank Griggs' house next door were demolished to make way for the present building.

  • The door on the right at the front of the Post Office led to the Head Postmaster's offices upstairs.
    When this work moved elsewhere the Social Services Dept took over some of the offices for a time.
    This door is now used as public access to the postal collection office.

  • Photo 'The Post Office Coronation Day June 1953' by kind permission of the Newmarket Journal and the Newmarket Memories Facebook page.

  • Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the photo 'The Post Office c.1960s'.

  • Many thanks to Dr Paul Saban for help with information regarding the medical history of Newmarket.


Click on image to view full size

No.103 High Street

No.103 High Street

Click on an image below to select above
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select
Click to select