No.58-60 High Street
Buckingham House: Barclays Bank (Hammond's Bank)
Old Bank House: Newmarket Community Partnership
12th June 1953
No.58:- Barclay's Bank
Barclays Bank - Buck, Harry R - Nkt.27 - Newmarket Directory
Crafts Shoe Co. - No.60 High Street
Tebitt, A., Barclay's Bank House
The Craft Shoe Co - No.60 High Street
1909 / 1910
Barclay & Co.,Bankers Nkt.27 - Phone Book
Hammond's Bank taken over by Barclays
Hammond & Co., High Street, Bankers - Eastern Counties of England Directory
Charles Eaton Hammond - Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire
Hammond & Co., Bankers, High Street - Post Office Directory of Cambridgeshire
Eaton, Hammond & Co., Bankers - Robson's Commercial Directory of Beds, Bucks ...,
Founding of the Eaton, Hammond and Son Bank
Lord Clermont's Stables
- As can be seen in the 1930's photo of Hammonds Bank in the Photos
section below, Crafts Shoe Co. were in No.60 High Street - between the pillars of the main doors into this building and the entrance into the passageway that leads to the 'Old Bank House' at the rear.
- 1772 - Richard Eaton and Charles Hammond found the Bank.
- As a major bank in Newmarket, C.E.Hammond (could be either father or son) was involved in quite a few transactions in the town:-
- Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
Newmarket Urban District Council Records
Reference EF 506
- Copyhold messuage (enfranchised 1874) in Cornhill, Newmarket EF 506/3/98 1795 - 1884
Aves - Wiles - Hammond - Chapman - Kerry - Deer
- Room at Bull Hotel, High St, for C.E. Hammond (Holland & Son) EF 506/6/1/J134 Aug 1891
- Alterations to Rothsay House Auction Rooms, High St, for Messrs Hammond (W.C. and A.S. Manning) EF 506/6/1/1/44 Mar 1897
- Alterations to Rothsay House auction rooms, New Cutt, off High St, for C.E. Hammond EF 506/6/1/4/180 nd
- Additions to property, High St, for Hammond & Co (W.C. & A.S. Manning) EF 506/6/1/8/148 Apr 1903
- Alterations and re-drainage, Barclay's Bank, High St, for Barclays Bank Ltd (A. Foster, 73 Chancery Lane,London, WC2) EF 506/6/1/17/592 Sep 1921
- Shop front, High St, for The Craft Shoe Co (Barclays Bank building) EF 506/6/1/19/665 Feb 1924
- Hammond's Bank - English Heritage Listed Building Details:-
- Barclays brought the Hammond banking dynasty to an end by taking over the
bank in 1905.
Barclay's list of constituent banks - page 3
- Kelly's Directory 1916
Howard, Henry manager of Barclay & Company's Bank, High Street
Hammond, Charles Edward, St. Fabians, Newmarket (see details below)
From left-to-right ... Charles Hammond, founder of Hammond's Bank, his son Charles Hammond and then Grandson Charles Eaton Hammond
(click on the picture to see them in their family tree)
These photographs were hung in the bank at one time - they were framed by Sherborn's Photographic and Picture Stores of Newmarket.
Many thanks to Madelaine Cox for the photographs and to Old Newmarket for showing them.
- The house at the rear of Nos.58-60 is the original (residential)
Bank House - Windsor House.
- English Heritage Listed Building Details:-
- The history of the Hammond bank is very much linked to the
history of the Hammond family, with a long
string of Charles Hammonds at its core - so to understand this
history you need to understand the Hammond genealogy ...
(click below for a Hammond family tree - note this shows only key members of the family)
- Charles Hammond was born 31st March 1749 (most likely in Needham
Street, Gazeley - although this detail is highly anecdotal) and married Anne Watson from Newmarket on 25th November 1782
[England Marriages, 1538–1973].
Charles juntior was born in 1783 and christened on 27th November 1783 in St. Mary's church, Newmarket
[England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975] - these are the Hammond and son of the Bank's name - Eaton, Hammond & Son.
Twigg's corrected list of the country-bankers of England and Wales 1830:-
Richard Eaton, Charles Hammond, and Charles Hammond the younger Newmarket(Com.Bk.)
- Charles Hammond senior died in Newmarket on 6th March 1837:-
- Charles Hammond junior married Ellen Wilson from Eccles, Lancashire:-
- Charles Eaton Hammond was born in 1819, son of Charles Hammond
and Ellen, he was baptised at St. Mary’s church on 15th December 1819.
On 1st July 1847 he married Emily Law Plumpton-Wilson at Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire and by the 1861 census he was living at Bank House, High Street, Newmarket.
They had four children:-
Emily Blanche Hammond (1848–1930)
Ellen Agnes Hammond (1852–)
Charles Edward Hammond (1857–1933)
Henry Lewis Hammond (1859–)
Margaretta Ruth Hammond (1864–1895)
- Other children of Charles and Ellen were:-
Edward Hammond, b. 1821.
Henry Hammond, b. 10th June 1824.
Octavius Hammond, 'b. 19th March 1835, Cleveland House, Newmarket'.
Frederick Hammond, 'born in 1838, Newmarket to Charles and Ellen Wilson Hammond, at Cleveland House, Old Station Road'.
... clearly between 1835 and 1838 Charles and Ellen lived in Cleveland House in Old Station Road.
- Edward and Frederick were also both bankers.
- Both Henry and Octavius went to Cambridge University - Alumni Cantabrigienses Part 2 Volume 3
p.218 & 219
- Octavius Hammond became a vicar and firstly married Maria
Elizabeth Robinson at Long Melford.
[GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE. JULY— DECEMBER, 1858]
Maria sadly died in 1863 and he re-married to Anne Elizabeth Rogerson in West Derby, Lancashire on 24th Augugust 1865.
[England & Wales Marriages, 1538-1940]
Octavius died on 22nd August 1908 as Rector of Herrringswell:-
- By the 1841 census Ellen was on her own and living with the youngest members of her family in the High Street:-
- Ellen Hammond died 8th June 1882 living at No.1 The Terrace,
Newmarket - her son Charles Eaton Hammond was the sole executor.
- By 1891 Frederick Hammond had moved back into Cleveland House,
being listed as the father of Gilbert who was sadly killed in
Charles Edward Hammond followed in his father's footsteps as a
banker and in the 1911 census can be seen living with his family
and 4 servants in St. Fabians, Exning Road.
- Both Charles Edward and Henry Lewis Hammond went to Cambridge
University - Alumni Cantabrigienses Part 2 Volume 3 p.218
Emily Law Hammond sadly died young on 19th July 1878 and unusually
for a woman in the Victorian era left a will:-
Charles Eaton Hammond lived to the ripe-old-age of 92 and died on 17th October 1912:-
Charles is buried in Newmarket cemetery.
Charles Eaton Hammond, his wife and daughters were all keen painters:-
Charles Eaton Hammond http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=303
Mrs Emily Law Hammond http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=1107
Miss Emily Blanche Hammond http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=1108
Miss Margaretta Ruth Hammond http://www.suffolkpainters.co.uk/index.cgi?choice=painter&pid=304
- The Hammonds kept their link with Needham Street in Gazeley - as they also owned Needham Hall:-
- Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch
Records of Messrs Ennions, Solicitors, Newmarket
- Messuage called Jolly Cots alias Jelly Cots (2a), Needham Street, Gazeley, copyhold held of the manor of Kennett with Kentford HB 517/A28 c1657-c1838
Farm, sheep course and lands, Needham Street, 1795-1824
Farm (73a), Needham Street and Kentford, 1807, 1824
Messuage and 3r, Needham Street with lands in Gazeley, Newmarket and Kentford, 1824
Evidences of title for purchases by Charles Hammond sen of Newmarket, esq and Charles Hammond jun of Newmarket, esq from John William Cornell of Gazeley, esq in 1824, from David Rist of Isleham (Cambs) in 1824, from the executor of the late Ezekiel Sparke of Bury St Edmunds, gent in 1824 and from William Jackson of Gazeley, yeoman in 1838
- plan of sheep walk belonging to Moulton Farm, n.d.[17th cent]
- abstract of title to several farms at Needham Street, Gazeley and extending into other parishes (1648-1823), 1824
- Farm (c.77a) HB 517/A/31a-b 5 Aug 1829
markings not identical
Related information: [See also HB 517/A/30]
Including cottages, tower windmill, granary and malting office, Higham hamlet, Gazeley
- 6 pieces of land, Gazeley
Particulars for sale by order of the executors of the late John King, gent. Pencil markings indicate the sale of the 6 pieces of land to Mr Hammond and to Mr Stephen Cracknell
Other Hammond's in Newmarket
- Hammond was quite a prevalent name in Newmarket (James Hammond, Portland House
/ Percy Hammond, The Rutland Garage), but until further details
are found it appears that others with the surname were unrelated
to the banking family.
- Details about James Hammond in Portland House can be found
This page also includes a short section about Windsor House, The Old Bank House.
- According to both listed house details above Hammond's Bank and The
Old Bank House were built mid 18c., most probably c.1772 when the
original bank was founded. Prior to this the site was Lord Clermont's
stables - as detailed below.
- The post and the paddock
Author: Henry Hall Dixon
NEWMARKET IN THE OLDEN TIME. 87
... recounting times in Newmarket in 1797:-
'Lord Clermont never tired of looking into his own stables, where Hammond's Bank now stands; and Perren had the charge of Lord Barrymore's string.'
- William Henry Fortescue, 1st Earl of Clermont KP (5 August 1722 – 30 September 1806)
Lord Clermont was a close friend of the Prince of Wales and a person of some consequence in the racing world.
One of the courses at Newmarket was named after him for a time.
- Note that so far no map record has been found that can confirm
Lord Clermont's stables on this site ... Chapman's map of
Newmarket 1768 show what looks to be the Old Bank House (Windsor House)
at the location - so that makes you think the change in use of the site came about earlier than that -
maybe 1772 was just when the bank was inaugurated(?).
- Postcard and enlargement courtesy of Roger Newman -
'Hammonds Bank Nov. 1906'.
- Many thanks to 'Old Newmarket' for the photos 'Hammonds Bank c.1930s', 'Hammonds Bank c.1915' & 'Hammonds Bank 1910'.
House Numbers 58 and 60 High Street (Barclays Bank)
Date Listed: 28 November 1950
English Heritage Building ID: 275656
Newmarket Bank, Ten Pounds, 13 April 1874, no. 2968, for Hammond & Co, signed by Fred Hammond
|The Old Bank House at Rear of Numbers 58 and 60 (Barclays Bank)
Date Listed: 26 June 1984
English Heritage Building ID: 275657
|Marriage: 15 Dec 1818 St Mary the Virgin, Eccles, Lancashire
Charles Hammond, Esquire - Bachelor of the Parish of Newmarket St. Mary in the County of Suffolk
Ellen Wilson - Spinster & a minor of this Parish
Witness: John Wilson; John Wilson, Jr.; Jane Oldham Johnson
Married by Licence by: Edward Wilson Rector of Moulton in Suffolk
Register: Marriages 1816 - 1819, Page 227, Entry 297
Source: Manchester Library MFPR 2242
|Wisden - Obituaries in 1908 - ESPN Cricinfo
THE REV. OCTAVIUS HAMMOND, who died at Herringswell on August 22nd , was born at Newmarket on March 19th, 1838, and educated at Uppingham, where he was in the Eleven from 1850 to 1852, being Captain in his last year. In 1855 and two following years he played for Cambridge against Oxford, but made only 23 runs in five completed innings. In Scores and Biographies (v.-30) he was described as A very fine, free hitter, and an admirable field at long-leg or cover-point. At Fenner's in 1857 he scored 52 not out for the University against the Cambridge Town Club, who had Buttress, Reynolds, and Arnold to bowl for them. Mr. Hammond had been Rector of Herringswell, Mildenhall, Suffolk, since 1867.
Ellen Hammond 40
Fanny Hammond 12
Emily Hammond 10
Louisa Hammond 7
Octavius Hammond 6
Frederick Hammond 3
Helen Brandon 25
Maria Day 35
Susan Bye 20
Matilda Drew 25
Mary Game 35
Ann Turner 25
Barnard Leonard 35
William Hilton 40
|HAMMOND, Charles Edward, Esq.; and. HAMMOND, Henry Lewis, Esq., of. Needham Hall, Suffolk. Sons of Charles Eaton Hammond, Esq., late of Needham Hall, who d. 1912, by Emily Law, who d. 1878, 2nd dau. of the late Rev. Plumpton Wilson, M.A., Rector of Thorpe Arnold, Leicestershire, and joint owners of Needham Hall.
[Edward Walford. The county families of the United Kingdom; or, Royal manual of the titled and untitled aristocracy of England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland .. (Volume ed.59, yr.1919)]